Why you are suddenly gaining weight in your 40s and 50s…May 22, 2023
When I ask women in their 40s and 50s what their biggest frustration is when it comes to their health, this is the typical response, “When I entered my 40s (or 50s) I suddenly gained weight and I haven’t done anything different!”
- Do you feel like you have to have to work harder in your 40s and beyond to lose or just maintain your weight?
- Have you lost weight only to gain it back?
- Do you feel lost and have no idea where to start when it comes to weight loss?
If you answered yes to any of these questions you are not alone!
When we enter our late 30s and beyond yes, there is a shift, our bodies do change. Much like in puberty, our hormones are in flux and for a time there is an imbalance before equilibrium is achieved. However, there are strategies we can adopt to adjust to these changes.
Here are a few reasons why you may be gaining weight:
- You are not eating enough protein or just plain not eating enough. Calorie deficits are a factor in weight loss but if you are consuming too few calories, your body may experience a rise in cortisol (probably from the stress of dieting), high ghrelin (the hunger hormone), and low CCK which signals satiety.
- You are doing too much cardio and not enough strength training. As you move into your mid 30s you begin to lose lean muscle mass which causes your metabolism to slow down. Muscle mass is one of the main factors contributing to how many calories you burn each day. Lower levels of estrogen can also contribute to this.
- You are stressed. Many women in their 40s/50s are taking care of everyone around them, are over-worked and are in a near constant state of stress. If this is the case, cortisol is coursing through your bodies at a constant rate and you will no doubt blow through your energy reserves built up from good sleep and nutrition.
Just as your body has changed so must your strategies.
If you are ready for real, sustainable results, I’m here to show you a new way forward. I have created a 10-week program for women specifically in their 40s and beyond who want to lose fat without restriction, gain strength and flexibility so you can permanently remove food and exercise struggles for life.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my mailing list to receive the latest news and updates.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.